March 21st, 2013
Another round of security updates were released by Apple a couple of days ago, and clients have been asking if they should update. Yes, yes, please!
The iOS 6.1.3 update fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the the passcode (and also adds improvements to Maps in Japan) . The Apple TV 5.2.1 update fixes a number of security issues that are addressed by Apple here. The Hulu interface has also been redesigned so users will see this after the update.
February 25th, 2013
We always encourage our clients to contact us if they are unsure about an Apple (or any other) software update that has been released. A lot of calls and emails have come in regarding the security update that was released by Apple last week, and we just want to say, yes, please download Java for OS X 2013 and Mac OS X v10.6 Update 13. More information can be found on Apple’s site here.
Security updates should almost always be run, but this update is particularly important because it disables the Java plug-in on all Mac browsers. Apparently, hackers used a hole in Java to infect the employees’ machines at Apple (more info on this story here).
February 11th, 2013
Last week I appeared on Jim Blue’s radio show “Keeping Technology Simple,” where Jim and I discussed the popularity of Apple products. We also talked about the increase in the numbers of businesses switching from PC to Mac, the main maintenance issues that confront our clients, as well as why we strongly recommend preventative maintenance visits. Have a listen here for our February promotion!
January 10th, 2013
Happy New Year from all of us at Need Mac Help! We know many of our users received (or purchased) an iPhone 5, iPad or iPad mini, and/or MacBook Pro over the holidays. So what else could you possibly need, right? Well, here are a few ideas that might inspire…
- Little Pocket Book for iPhone 5: iPhone case and wallet in one! Super thin case with beautiful leather interior and exterior. The soft, durable leather provides protection for your iPhone. All this and it’s handmade in the USA by Pad & Quill. The Little Pocket Book is $59.95 at Pad & Quill and is available in black or brown exterior with different color interior.
- HyperJuice Stand: There are iPad stands, and then there are IPAD STANDS. The HyperJuice Stand for iPad is the perfect combination of form and function. It’s got a built-in 16 hour battery pack, and 2 rubberized slots, which hold the iPad at 18 degrees and 45 degrees (portrait and landscape positions) with and without a case. The HyperJuice stand can be found at the HyperShop for $129.95.
- PLAY Video Memo: From Native Union, the makers of the POP Phone, the original retro handset. The PLAY Video Memo is a high quality recording video memo pad with color playback on a 2.4″ screen. It holds multiple messages up to 3 minutes in total. It also has a magnetic back so you can stick the PLAY on your fridge (or any other metallic surface)! The PLAY Video Memo is $49.99 through the Native Union website.
November 2nd, 2012
We wanted to reach out to our Need Mac Help clients and the greater New York City community with some information on aid organizations that are helping residents that have been impacted by the storm. If you are a NYC resident who has not been impacted by the storm, these links can also provide ways you can help locally.
Please feel free to contact us if you have recommendations of any local organizations that can help or use help.
NEW YORK CITY WIDE ORGANIZATIONS
ORGANIZATIONS BY BOROUGH:
- Volunteer at a Bronx Park – The Parks Dept. is looking for volunteers to help clean up the parks this weekend.
- World Vision – World Vision is an organization with a focus on children and families in need that is seeking help in cleaning out its Storehouse this weekend.
- Astoria Recovers – Lists of drop off locations where Astoria residents can donate food, water, batteries, cleaning supplies for the Rockaways
- Powhatan Democratic Club in Astoria is also accepting donations this weekend. Donate:
Blankets, shirts, socks, sweaters, jackets, sneakers
Non-Perishable Food (such as Canned Soup, Canned Food)Drop-off location:
Powhatan Democratic Club
41-05 Newtown Road, Astoria
Friday night 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Occupy Sandy – Rockaways: Drop-off Locations, Needs and Volunteer Info
NEW JERSEY ORGANIZATIONS:
October 22nd, 2012
So we’re wondering if Apple is going to unveil not just one but TWO new minis tomorrow: an iPad mini AND an updated Mac mini. We obviously don’t know for sure if Apple is going to debut a smaller iPad (or if it will in fact be called an iPad mini), but the rumor mill has produced photos of a supposed iPad “mini” surface, as well as part numbers for an iPad “mini” with 12 different configurations in 2 colors. And, well, the invitation for the media event tomorrow, Tuesday, October 23rd sure does hint at it: