We tweeted this link earlier today, but we bet most of our users were busy with work and weren’t able to watch the full WWDC 2013 keynote video. Well, now you can view the whole keynote at your leisure on Apple’s site.
And if you don’t have time to sit through the video, here are some of the highlights from this year’s WWDC keynote:
1. OS X Mavericks. The next OS, 10.9, is named after the famous big wave surf spot in Northern California (see the great documentary Riding Giants by Stacy Peralta), and will be released this fall. Finder Tabs, Tags (in Finder, Apps, and iCloud), and iCloud Keychain are just some of the great new features of the new OS.
2. iOS 7. Some cool improvements have been added to the new iOS, which is also arriving this fall. Here are just a few:
- Maps – night mode, turn-by-turn walking directions.
- FaceTime Audio – ability to skip the video and use audio only through FaceTime.
- Control Center – much easier access to controls and apps.
- Camera – filters and formats (including a new square format) can be applied with a simple swipe!
- Activation Lock – this one should hopefully help to decrease the number of iPhone thefts that have been occurring in our fair city.
3. New MacBook Airs! An 11-inch model and a 13-inch model, both of which start shipping TODAY. The 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs have options for 128GB of flash storage or 256GB of flash storage. More info on the pricing and new features can be found on Apple’s site.
4. The new Mac Pro! So many of our clients have been waiting for this. The design is gorgeous and around one-eighth the size of the current Mac Pro tower. The new Mac Pro features a 12-core, 256-bit Intel Xeon E5 processor, flash storage (Apple didn’t state the amount of storage available), and 1866MHz ECC DDR3 RAM (capable of 60 GB/s data transmission). There’s no date set for the new Mac Pro, but Apple says to look for it “later this year.”
5. New AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule? Yes! Surprise, surprise. Both the AirPort Extreme and the new Time Capsule have 802.11ac, which allows the devices to boost a constant Wifi signal in all directions. The 2013 Time Capsule is available with either 2TB and 3TB storage and are available for pick-up in an Apple store starting Wednesday, June 12.